Tuesday, May 16, 2006

May 16, 2006

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:58:36 AM

Hello. I am finally in afghanistan. The flight here took me through Germany, and Kurdikstan. The former Soviet republic was beautiful but the infrastructure was run down from years of neglect. I was also in Germany, very unique to say the least. I have several labels and pictures for you. We then flew into Baghram Airbase in Afghanistan. As soon as you land you see the majestic mountains all around you. They are 10,000 plus feet high, but brown. There isn't a lot of vegetation here. Next you notice the heat. Standing still you sweat, moving is even worse. The position pallets of bottled water everywhere. You just walk up and help yourself. The water here is not potable so you have to brush your teeth with bottled water. It was 4 days before we had a shower, yeah imagine the heat, too. We then took a convoy from Baghram to Kabul. The poverty and squalor these people live in is amazing. There isn't much here. They are resourceful, I saw several shops "recycling" used tires, while other cut them up and were making mats and other stuff from them. The kids walk around barefoot and some in clothing that resembles rags. I will in-process tomorrow and then find out where in the country I will be stationed. I still don't have a mailing address but when i get one i will send it. It's 6:25 pm here so there is a 9 hour difference here. Kind of weird, when I am up, people at home are sound asleep. The food on base is excellent by any standards but I won't eat outside the wire, too risky. My tent has airconditioning, yeah a tent with AC. Well I have to go, I'll write more later.

Mr. Norman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home